Thursday, April 12, 2012

Little Neighborhood in the Big City

(Carnegie Library in my neighborhood)


Today I'm linking up with Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop.

Prompt #3: Write about neighbors.

* * * * * * * * *

I live in an older, tree-lined neighborhood in the middle of a large urban area. Even though over 2 million people live in the greater Twin Cities area, our little neighborhood feels a lot like a small town.

I can literally walk to the elementary school, the junior high school, my church, the library, the post office, a bookstore, shops, restaurants, and even my doctor.


(Neighborhood Bookstore)

I feel very lucky.

It's a good thing we bought our house 16 years ago. Lots of people want to live here and the housing prices have gone way up.

But I can understand why people want to live here.

I say "Hi" to people I know every time I walk down the street.

My daughter and husband say, "You know everyone!"

I don't know everyone, but I sure know a lot of people here. I know many parents with kids who attend school with my daughter. Also, I've been working at the bookstore for nearly 4 years. You meet a lot of people at a bookstore.

Plus, I grew up here.

Yes, my childhood home is one street over. One of my best friends growing up lives down the street in her grandmother's old house. I went to elementary school here. The same school my daughter attended.

It's kinda weird and lots of wonderful.


But, I didn't always live here. In fact, in fourth grade we moved to another state.

It wasn't until I was an adult that I moved back. So did my brother. He now lives about 1 mile from me and our families see each other a lot.


So for me, living here is like coming home.

I feel very, very lucky to live in this neighborhood and have these neighbors.

I wouldn't trade it for anything.


(Except maybe a free mansion in Hawaii.)


Mama’s Losin’ It

5 comments:

  1. This is a beautiful neighborhood and sounds awesome as a place to live.

    hi from mk's

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's what I miss about my old neighborhood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an adorable neighborhood! Sounds like a great place to raise a family. :) Stopped by from Mama Kat's.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that is what makes St. Paul so special, all of these great little neighborhoods that maintain their charm over the years and through the generations. Now if they could just do something about our property taxes....

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, all the little neighborhoods in St. Paul are great! Also agreed, property taxes are crazy.
      Thanks!

      Delete