Monday, August 22, 2011

So Bershon




My husband, 13-year old daughter, and I just got home from a long weekend at a friend's cabin. We had a wonderful time hanging out, swimming, boating, making smores, and playing games.

My friend has two boys, age 13 and 10. The 10-year old is a big bundle of enthusiasm. He's excited to try every new activity. And he's always willing to have others join in on the fun.

Now the 13 year olds - my daughter and her son - get along great and are wonderful kids but, boy-oh-boy, did we see some excellent examples of "bershon" this weekend.

Bershon is "a facial expression of distaste, distain, sulkiness, exasperation, or all four simultaneously." (Fritinancy website)

The Urban Dictionary website defines it this way:

Bershon is pretty much how you feel when you're 13 and your parents make you wear a Christmas sweatshirt and then pose for a family picture and you could not possibly summon one more ounce of disgust, but you're also way too cool to really even DEAL with it, so you just make this face like you smelled something bad and sort of roll your eyes and seethe in a put-out manner.

I dearly love my 13-year old and wouldn't trade her for the world. Plus, no one else could possibly be as bershon as my kid. Except, perhaps, another 13-year old.

No comments:

Post a Comment