Monday, August 15, 2011

Summer Kid

The summer after my daughter finished 2nd grade, I told her she was now a 3rd grader. She said, "No, Mom. I'm a Summer Kid. I'm not a 3rd grader until school starts." She was adamant about it, insisting that she was a Summer Kid and the discussion was over.

As a parent, I sometimes forget how long summer felt as a kid. When I was young, I remember summer feeling almost the same length as a school year. There was no way I was a 3rd grader in the summer. That was way too far away. That was a whole different "year".

So, I understand the Summer Kid thing. Why force our kids forward too fast? Why not let them enjoy summer? Life? Why did I buy my 2012 calendar last week, in the middle of summer? A kid would never do that.

So, now my daughter is 13 and still a Summer Kid. Not an 8th grader, yet. It's 8:30 am and she, of course, is still sleeping. I tried to tell her that in September, at this time in the morning, she'll be in Geometry class. She just groaned and said, "Mom, pleeeeaasee! I'm still a Summer Kid. And can you close my door on your way out?"


No comments:

Post a Comment