Monday, March 19, 2012

Road Trip - Day 3: Drury Lane and Blue Water

On the last full day of our Mother/Daughter Road Trip, we went into the town of Grand Marais, Minnesota.

We had breakfast at The Blue Water Cafe. My parents eat at the Blue Water every week. They know the people who work there and get the local's discount.


I had the Mexican Scrambler and coffee. Like any old-fashioned diner, the Blue Water coffee kept coming and coming until I said I was all filled up.


Next we went to one of my favorite bookstores in the world, Drury Lane!


Drury Lane is a small, cute, well-stocked bookstore, a stone's throw away from Lake Superior. Joan Drury is the owner and also an author. Her son does reading time for kids at the bookstore. He's called the Muffin Man.

Children's Rhyme:
Do you know the Muffin Man,
The Muffin Man, the Muffin Man,
Do you know the Muffin Man,
Who lives at Drury Lane.

Well, he doesn't actually live there, but he does read to kids at the store.


Next, we went into the Ben Franklin, better known as Joynes Department Store.

Joynes might seem rather small for a "department store," but they sure pack a lot into their store. Several aisles are the clothes department, several more are for shoes. Then there's a book department, candy and food, and don't forget the home necessities department.




Once my father wanted to darn his socks. Why? I'm not sure. But he found what he needed at Joynes.

Today, we went into Joynes to buy a gift for my husband who was stuck at home with all the pets. I got him a Grand Marais t-shirt at %50 off.


Last, Juliana had to throw some rocks into the harbor.



No trip up north is complete without some good, old rock-throwing.



Tomorrow, it's back home. Back to school and work.

I'm sure glad we had this time together. It's not every day mom gets to road trip with her 14 year-old daughter. And both of them have a great time!


2 comments:

  1. We are currently looking for just that kind of diner in our area. It is delicious looking for one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how I love Grand Marais! We spent spring break there a few years ago-my hubby and son went skiing at Lutsen every day and I spent my time at the East Bay Suites knitting and reading. I had a great time at Joyners and got some fab shoes, and had breakfast at the same cafe! Drury Lane was not open, sad for me. We got to experience a blizzard while we were there, 14" of snow in 24 hours.

    What a wonderful trip you had! I can't wait to head back that way.

    ReplyDelete