Monday, January 2, 2012

Counting the Books


Today was Inventory Day at the bookstore where I work. This is the day - once a year - that we count every book in the store.

Since we're very "old school" we have paper tally sheets and clipboards. We write down the price and how many there are at that price. It's labor intensive, to say the least. Luckily, we have about 15 volunteers helping us each year.

This year I had a great helper. My daughter! She was a champ. We tackled the kids book section, which is the section I'm the book buyer for.

We took turns reading the price of the book and writing it down on the tally sheet. She worked with me for FIVE hours, with only a short break for lunch. She was AWESOME!

For her hard work, the owners are letting her pick out any book for free. Plus, I'm paying her $20. I think she deserves it.

Thirteen year-olds can be very grown-up . . . sometimes. :)

2 comments:

  1. I could never volunteer for that job, as I would have to check out every book before I counted it...so glad that your daughter could help you! I remember having to do inventory at the fabric store I managed, counting thread and weighing fabric-I don't miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristi - Did you by chance work at Treadle? I really like that store.

    ReplyDelete